Wednesday, March 31, 2010

So Long Women’s History Month! Here's "A Word to the Wives"


With Women’s History Month coming to a close, I thought I would post a little video that explores how far women’s roles in American life have come. Here is “A Word to the Wives,” about two enterprising women who attempt to “trick” their husbands into buying them new kitchens. The film was made by companies looking to advertise their new kitchen appliances in the 1950s, and operates under the assumption that all women are housewives and all men can’t manage to operate kitchen appliances without a woman present. This film is a throwback in more ways than one, and definitely managed to entertain me when I first found it last week. At the time, I was looking for any video on women’s history, and found this the same day that my own oven caught on fire and died. This film entertained me and I hope it will make you laugh too.

No comments:

Post a Comment