Sunday, October 4, 2009

“I always wanted to be an artist, whatever that was, like other chicks want to be stewardesses. I read. I painted. I thought.” –Janis Joplin (1943-197


On October 4, 1970, Janis Joplin was found dead, the result of an accidental heroin overdose. Joplin was born in Texas and later moved to San Francisco where she joined Big Brother and the Holding Company. After their hit “Piece of My Heart,” the band toured until Janis announced that she would be leaving the band. As a solo artist, Janis was recording an album that was later called Pearl at the time of her death. When she failed to show up at a recording session, her manager found her in her apartment after she died of an apparent drug overdose. Like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin’s career and contributions to rock and roll are considered as legendary as the excess of her personal life. Since her death, Janis Joplin’s voice and flamboyant fashion sense have inspired countless other artists. In honor of Janis Joplin, here is a video of Janis performing “Piece of My Heart.” I’ve also included a clip of an interview Janis recorded on the Dick Cavett Show shortly before her death. She talks about songwriting, being unpopular in high school and the thrill of performing.

[Image via RocknRollPimp]

No comments:

Post a Comment